I've been quilting since 2013. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Thursday 23 April 2015

Week 16 of my FMQ Challenge


I have been meaning to make a table topper for my dining table for some time.  The table is in the conservatory, and the sun doesn't do the wood any good.  I want a table topper that fits the table exactly, with no overhang.

I have a soft spot for Fig Tree and Co quilt patterns.  The spool quilt I have had on the go since last year is one of Joanne's patterns.  I decided that I would like to have a go at making her Navajo Stars quilt, but the instructions were for one, four or nine blocks.  I worked out that with some math to work out sizes for the borders, I could fit two blocks in the required size.

The pattern uses 60 degree angles, and wouldn't you know it, I have mislaid my 60 degree ruler! I used my normal ruler, and hoped for the best. There are a lot of bias edges and I was a bit worried about whether the block would lie flat.

Once the top was finished, I decided to use polyester wadding and some tone on tone taupe cotton (from my stash) for the back.

The background areas are a bit of a strange shape to quilt, but I thought I would echo once around the star, and then FMQ feathers following the echo.  I thought I would fill the space that was left with small pebbles.  I used cream Isacord to stitch in the ditch around the star and for the FMQ on the cream fabric and in the background, and invisible smoky monafilament to stitch in the ditch on the star.  I used pale yellow Isacord to FMQ the yellow border.

I managed to finish quilting one block today, so one more block to go.  Happy quilting!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue love the way you used the pebbles, for some reason they make me think of calm waters when I see them. This is going to look great when finished. Your quilting is really bringing it a live. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete