I've been quilting since 2013. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Tuesday 10 February 2015

Week 6 of my FMQ Challenge

2015 is the year I have challenged myself to improve my free motion quilting. This is:

Week 6

This week, I wanted to try a couple of different backgrounds.  I have long wanted to try pebbles, and I felt that this was the right time to try.  I also wanted to try scribbling, as I have been getting a bit bored with  stippling. 

I used Kaffe Fassett shot cotton in purple for the front and lavender for the back, with cotton batting.  Threads used were Superior metallic gold, silver, and Isacord taupe, and King Tut lavender in the bobbin.  I used a 90/14 topstitch needle.

Criticism - my feathers have definitely improved.  I really like the effect that scribbling gives.  It gives the opportunity to add another colour to a wholecloth piece.  I like the pebbles, but found all the movement reauired when quilting, hard on my hands - note to self, maybe a lighter touch would help.  The most annoying thing about this piece is that I didn't mark carefully enough, so the cables, in particular, are a bit wonky.  I hope I will learn from this, and do better next time.

I have also started the first block of the 2015 Quiltmania Mystery Quilt.  I have pieced the block and have just started the embroidery.

No comments:

Post a Comment